Newsletters and Updates on CRM/Imago Christi ministry in Saint Petersburg, Russia and beyond

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The O'Byrne Report, May 2015 (archive)

Prayer Requests:

·       We are grateful to all of you, and for your continued participation in the Lord’s work through us “to Russia and Beyond”!
·       Goodbyes and gratitude for all of the Lord’s work here that we have witnessed and participated in (see below). Mourning the loss of our life in Russia, and the incredible regrets of what could and might have been.
·       Wisdom for Packing. Imagine selling off, giving away or pitching 95% of your stuff, and moving your whole life in three suitcases each (plus five boxes of books in the mail).  (see picture below)
·       Pray for a good transition with our many family members, as we all get used to the idea that we are still “missionaries to the world” based in the US.
·       Pray for our churches in Russia. While the “indirect war” continues in Ukraine, things seem to be calming down in Russia, but huge tensions remain unresolved under the surface. It’s not easy to look at and repent of old prejudices and truly live as Kingdom citizens.
·       Pray for guidance with our Housing Needs in Colorado. We are experiencing more uncertainty than we did 22 years ago moving to Russia, not knowing where we are going to land in Denver. It’s a faith adventure!
·       Pray for us as our departure date (June 15th) approaches, and the final goodbyes sink in. Setting our sights on the adventure ahead.

Kids Ask:
One of our supporter’s kids chatted with me on Facebook recently. Her questions were blunt and to the point, forcing me to ask the tough questions about our transition and explain it succinctly:

Q: You're done being missionaries in Russia?
Me: Yes, I'm continuing as a missionary though, mentoring and training other missionaries.
Q: So where will you be a missionary? Somewhere in the U. S.?
Me: We'll be based near Denver, CO. We leave Russia mid June, arrive in Colorado early July.
Q: What made you guys to wanna do something different?
Me: I have been working on this team within our mission for ten years, and next year I will start leading it. So I am focusing my efforts more, while helping more people do it worldwide!
Q: What's it like there?
Me: Denver, is semi-desert at the foot of the Rocky Mts.
Q: What about Russia?
Me: Flat, coastal, sub-arctic. We're as far north as Anchorage, Alaska. Oh, you mean what about our ministry here? We have to entrust people to the Lord. I’m giving my classes over to Russian teachers who must step up, and cannot depend on missionaries forever!



A Seasons of “Last’s” and Goodbyes:
·       At our last graduation from SPCU Bill was recognized for 18 years of service to Saint Petersburg Christian University. (see picture below)
·       Liam’s last basketball game in a “Cossacks” uniform
·       Olivia’s last Dance Recital with her dance class.  (see picture below)
·       Last “Spiritual Formation Discovery” seminar in Russian (at least while we live here).  (see picture below)
·       First and last “garage sale” in our apartment! Priscilla is a hero to sort and set up and live in the middle of a garage sale for a week!
·       Last days of school, last talks with friends, opportunities to express our appreciation for friendships
·       “Bucket List” items include a museum we never visited, last visits to special places, a last walk along the Neva during the White Nights (when it’s light all night)!  (see picture below)

The “A” in RAFT:
The four jobs for a good transition spell “RAFT”: Reconciliation, Appreciation, Farewell, Think destination. As we have expressed Appreciation for so many people that the Lord has put into our lives, so many have told us their appreciation that the Lord brought us into their lives. As we receive their heart-felt thanks, we know that God used all of YOU to make the 22 years of ministry in Russia possible. You participate in and are responsible for these comments:

·       “You have been a true friend.”
·       “Words cannot express what you mean to me.”
·       “I will never forget what you taught us.”
·       “You have shown us what a Christian marriage and family are like.”
·       “Thank you for being family to my family.”
·       “You have been an example of who God wants me to be.”
·       “I always came to my appointments with you, knowing that it would be significant for my spiritual growth and the understanding of my calling.”
·       “You have an example how to trust in God, and even how to trust Him in uncertainty.”
·       “You are a family that is together, and together in glorifying God.”
·       “You did so much to open my heart, and keep it soft, when it could have been otherwise.”

“A” is also for “Attachments”: They are just doorknobs.
As we pare down to three suitcases each, we remember that “things are just things,” and at the same time we realize the importance of the “significant symbols” of our time in Russia. I gave myself to serving the Lord in Russia; Russia has become a part of me; I am taking a part of Russia with me as we transition to Denver. The girls took Russian dolls to college. Liam has his basketball jersey. Olivia has chosen a folk headdress. Priscilla is taking a samovar. I found the hardest thing for me to part with were a box of brass door handles  (see picture below). The first things that I bought for our old apartment back in 1994. Somehow they mean more to me than the plaques and gifts. It was part of their history that became part of our home. Unique handles I sought to the Russian hearts around me every day. I could make a wall hanging out of them, like the picture of them below. Or now that they have done their job and reminded me of what was truly significant about living in Russia for 22 years, I can let them go too. Or perhaps I should I keep them as a tangible example of what beauty and history in every day life mean to me. We live our lives holding every-thing and every-one loosely before the Lord!

(January 2016 Update: There are two and a half boxes that have (as of yet) not been cleared, or been lost in, customs to leave Russia, one of which contains these doorknobs!) 

What we’re moving into:
We may not know where we’ll be living in Denver yet, but we know what the Lord is calling us to, and why we are going there!

Imago Christi “cultivates spiritual depth in ministry leaders” who minister among:  
the Poor, in the Church and pioneering New Ground,
so that God will be renowned and disciples made among the nations! 

The main tasks of my leadership of this team will be to expand our training and resources, to build the community of our present members, to train our members and partners, to coordinate spiritual formation communities regionally and internationally, to collaborate with other spiritual formation ministries, seminaries and mission agencies, and to recruit more members for our team, to help people lead their ministries out of their intimacy with Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment